Monday, June 15, 2009

Sisterversary

2004 -- Boy From Oz

...And I'm STILL hotter than you.

It all started back in 2004. My sister and I got tickets to see Hugh Jackman in The Boy from Oz and decided to make a day out of it. We went into the city in the morning and went to Madam Tussauds wax museum. Then over to Jekyll and Hyde's for dinner, where I got an awesome tiki mug. Then to the show, which was awesome, and we got to see Hugh Jackman get naked. After the show, we waited outside the stage door, and got to see Hugh Jackman in person! For like a split second, but wow, what a smile!

2005 - Sisterversary established



A year later, my sister sent me flowers and announced the establishing of our sister anniversary -- our sisterversary. it celebrates that we are sisters and we are awesome and make a great couple. Let no one dare interfere with the sister bond, lest they be killed and eaten! (ok, that killing part is all me, but she'd totally help me if i asked her to.)

I feel lucky to be so close to my sister, and realize some people just don't get it. We were close as kids, but grew apart over the years due to misunderstandings and misinterpretations. After my father died, we finally compared notes and cleared the air. There is no one more important to me than my sister. I wasted the time I had with my dad and lost him. I wasted many moments that I could've had with my sister, and refuse to lose any more. We do lots of stuff together, but I think it's important that we have the sisterversary to make sure there is one specific day where that relationship is honored and takes priority. Traditionally it is March 27th, but sometimes gets wiggled around for good reason, mutually agreed upon of course.

2006 - Erie NIN


We moved up the sisterversary date and did a crazy drive across PA. It looked way closer on the map. Once in Erie, it was freakin cold, and NIN did not allow people in for soundcheck. We hung out in the Burger King and with these other fans, but it was a loooooong day. Show was good -- the arena was so small! it felt like being in a high school gym. We had GA tickets, but don't really like crowds, so we hung back by the sound board and enjoyed the show. We were definitely the hottest girls there.


2007 - South Carolina

[pic goes here]

I planned my trip to New Orleans to be the week after Mardi Gras, so we had to move up the sisterversary this year. So we drove down to South Carolina. The SC drive became part of a new sister tradition. Originally, we were supposed to fly, but Continental screwed us over and cancelled our flight right before takeoff. They offered to fly us to Detroit instead, then SC in the morning. No fucking way, we said. We'll end up stranded in Detroit and waste our vacation days. The sisters pondered a moment, then declared, "Whatever, let's just drive!" And so they did. I think we kind of hated each other after enduring that long drive back, but we got over it, and did the SC drive again and again.

2008 - Crybaby



Chickie was so afraid someone would ruin the surprise, and my mom almost did! but luckily, i had no idea what show we were going to -- all i knew was that we were going to NYC. The Crybaby musical was pretty interesting and lots of fun, though the actors playing Crybaby and Mrs. Vernon-Williams had like the most giant distracting moles ever. And Hatchetface didn't looked messedupity enough. But I loved how they made Lenora completely insane... reminded me of Squeaky Fromme in Assassins a bit.


2009 - Maryland NIN




With so much going on back in March, we got these tickets and decided to celebrate a late sisterversary this year. I missed the NJ show due to work, so we drove to this one instead. OMG, the Merriweather Post Pavillion blows the PNC arts center out of the water. I'd rather drive to MD than ever go to holmdel again. It amazes me how stuff in other states is so cool, and stuff in NJ sucks. And when there is something good in NJ, it gets ruined. People in MD were so cool, they didn't need huge security and crowd control. Everytime jersey people go to a show, 10-25% act like total asses and need to get the cops involved. Must be something in the water.

We're also getting a second act to the sisterversary this year -- Joe's Crab Shack. I am obsessed, but there are none near us. We were going to hit one in MD, but it was almost an hour out of the way. Our original sisterversary idea this year was to go shopping in Lawrenceville and go to JCS there, so we're just going to pick a random weekend and go do that too.

2010 - Planning

Sisterversary next year will probably be more low-key due to other milestones that year -- my mom's 60th birthday bash and my sister's 30th b-day bash. We always find something cool to do though. Some things in Jersey suck, but some are awesome too, and you can't beat the location. Close enough to do stuff in NYC without having to be there longer than you want to.



2004 -- Boy From Oz
2005 - Sisterversary established
2006 - Erie NIN
2007 - South Carolina
2008 - Crybaby
2009 - Maryland NIN

No comments: