Sunday, April 11, 2010

Remission party postponed

Last visit to the gi doc, he was happy I was becoming a "boring" patient. Steroid taper was going smoothly, 6mp was taking hold bloodwork looked good. I started looking forward to moving from fake remission to real remission.

Anyway, those plans are now on hold. In a cruel April fools prank, my symptoms are back, even afte increasing back the pred and increasing 6mp. I've been really bummed about it. The most annoying bit are the return of the mouth sores. My tongue is all owwie and all I want to do is drink crushed ice. Though I finally ate at Rita's yesterday and it was awesome. So are cold stone creamery smoothies.... Mmm bananarific.

In other health news, those extreme headaches sent me back to the Ear/nose/throat doc because I thought they were sinus. But after sticking various tubes all up in my face, he determined my sinuses were fine. And sent me to a neuro. My neuro is awesome, and he sent me for an MRI. I went yesterday and learned that I am claustrophobic. I never felt a fear response like that before. I was pretty calm, got in the machine, then all of a sudden my body caught fire and I had to get out. We actually just watched a character on Lost get an MRI, so I felt prepared for the cage on my head and stuff, but expected a panic button. I wasn't sure the tech could hear me so I kicked my feet to get her attention and shouted "please get me out" until I was out. I felt pretty embarassed, but figured I could calm myself down and try again. Now that I knew how dark it would be and that she could hear me and I could hear her, I figured I'd be ok. Nope, I calmly went in then felt all firey again immediately. It wasn't something I could cowgirl up and deal with for 20 minutes. So they got me out again. I felt like a total failure and a total weenie. Apparently I can deal with tunes going in me, but not me going in a tube.

Holy crap, just writing about it is making me all twitchy.

Anyway, luckily they had an open MRI and I was able to deal with that (though it was still freaky). Hopefully it's good enough for the neuro - office was closed Saturday and I didn't think it was severely important enough to page him. If it's not and he needs regular MRI, I'd have to find a place to knock me out and stuff, because I don't think Valium and hugging a Teddy bear would be enough, and I'm pretty sure they don't allow flashlights in the MRI tube.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPod touch

1 comment:

arkayeff said...

APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.
Winter kept us warm, covering 5
Earth in forgetful snow, feeding
A little life with dried tubers.
Summer surprised us, coming over the Starnbergersee
With a shower of rain; we stopped in the colonnade,
And went on in sunlight, into the Hofgarten, 10
And drank coffee, and talked for an hour.

From The Wasteland by T.S ELIOT 1922

I hope you get to have a remission party soon. Good luck.

Roger -