Monday, December 28, 2009

article of the day

Found this on medscape - great summary of UC and overview of surgical interventions, and when to go for surgery.

Ulcerative Colitis: Surgical Perspective


bonus: researchers from the University of South Carolina... GO GAMECOCKS!!!

The big question for my next doc visit is should we do cyclosporin A. I'm thinking we should, just to make sure we did eVERYTHING medically possible, but I don't want to put myself in worse shape for surgery. however, i'd like to totally wean off steroids and schedule surgery to be as non-disruptive as possible. so i'm thinking the 6mp/cyclosporin treatment as not so much for remission, but just as a bridge to surgery. i guess i should write down my questions for my visit on the 4th and take it from there. i just want to stop taking steroids - sure they are effective, but the side effects suck ass. but i don't want to stop taking steroids at the cost of not being able to leave the house, unless i'm doing the surgery thing anyway. it's all about timing now.


No comments: